University of Minnesota Duluth 2003–07
Graphic Design, BFA & General Studio Art, BFA
University of Birmingham 2004–05
Study in England Program, Foreign Studies Minor
Exhibitions + Performance History
‘Mo-Wave 15 Vermillion (Seattle, WA) 11/12/15–12/30/15
internet eikons Knockbox Café (Chicago, IL) 11/4/13–1/9/14
queerhealth High Concept Laboratories (Chicago, IL) 11/12/2011
WOLFPACK Splatterpool (Brooklyn, NY) 2/10/2011
An Opening for One Installation in Private Residence (Chicago, IL) 7/29/2010
Puppy Love: An art show Willow (Chicago, IL) 2/13/2009
Visible Means: Observations of Queer Experience Duluth Art Institute 8/28/08–11/16/08
Emerging Photographers 2008 Duluth Art Institute 3/6/08–6/24/08
2008 Student Exhibition (Juried) UMD 4/12/08–5/11/08
Member’s Show Duluth Art Institute 1/23/08–3/11/08
Duluth-Superior Pride Festival Art Exhibition Duluth Playground 8/31/07–9/7/07
Twin Cities 2007 Pride Art Show The Soap Factory 6/15/07–7/22/07
2007 Student Exhibition (Juried) UMD 4/7/07–5/6/07
“CHRIS/TOPHER” Senior Exhibition UMD School of Fine Arts 3/20/07–3/25/07
2nd Annual Student Design Competition (Juried) UMD 2/6/07–3/11/07
2006 Student Exhibition (Juried) UMD 4/8/06–5/7/06
Interpretive dance dealing with issues of gender UMD QSU Drag Show 3/13/04
Related Work Experience
Museum of Contemporary Art Design & Publications Intern 1/09–5/09
Responsible for various production-related tasks such as ad resizes and text updates in addition to creation of informational materials for education and performance departments
Various Clients Freelance Designer 2/08–present
Continued relationship with Tweed Museum of Art with the design of two exhibition catalogs, created various book covers for Litwin Books and Library Juice Press, built websites and blog templates, and did assorted typesetting and layout work as a freelancer
Tweed Museum of Art Graphic Designer 5/06–5/08
Created all museum print and web materials from concept to production in addition to marketing work and exhibition design
Not Made in Heaven Production Assistant 6/07–6/08
Designed for print and web, transcribed, and archived materials for a documentary film about Philip Pearlstein
Art Today Teaching Assistant 4/06–12/07
Assisted intro level Art History course of 300+ students with Instructor Rob Wittig
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Self-directed research 1/06–6/06
Explored Marcel Duchamp’s Readymades in museum context through site visits, mentored research, and primary sources
Volunteer + Leadership Experience
Chicago IRL Co-founder and Designer 2011–12
Art Institute of Chicago European Medieval–Modern Paintings Volunteer 2009
UMD Art + Design Lecture Series Committee Student Representative 2006–07
School of Fine Arts Technology Fees Committee Student Representative 2006–07
UMD Literary Guild Roaring Muse Graphic Designer, Vice President 2006–07
UMD Art Guild President 2005–07
Honors Student Association Vice President 2005–06
Queer and Allied Students Union Office Assistant 2004
Selected Awards + Honors
BMA Tower Awards Mobile Marketing, Silver 2011
BMA Tower Awards Product catalogs, demo disc brochure, sales presentation, Bronze 2011
BMA Tower Awards Total Communications Program between $200,001–500,000, Bronze 2010
Best in Show 2008 UMD Student Exhibition 2008
Chancellor’s Purchase Award 2007 UMD Student Exhibition 2007
Cruden-Riggs GLBT Scholarship 2007
Best in Category Experimental Type, 2nd Annual UMD Student Design Competition 2007
AIGA/Howard W. Lyons Scholarship 2006–07
Raymond W. Darland Art Scholarship 2006–07
Isaac and Rose Gershgol Award 2006–07
UMD Honors Program Leadership Award 2006
Shulka-Drake Award PFund 2006
Alice Tweed Tuohy Award 2006
Robin Blagburn Memorial Scholarship 2005
Bush Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship 2004–05
Press and Articles
- “Get out those crayons, Sarah Koenig needs a face.” Current. August 3, 2016.
- “Glom o’ the Week: Make Something Awful Every Day.” Glommable. August 4, 2015.
- Soto, Tony. “Qu Presents: Chicago IRL.” The Qu. March 30, 2012.
- Lang, Nico. “The Q LIST Talking with Chicago IRL.” Windy City Times. April 23, 2013.
- Mitov, Christo. “Printed Matters #4: Chicago IRL.” Grateful Grapefruit. March 9, 2012.
- The Qu. “Queer Magazine Chicago IRL Releases Third Issue.” In Our Words Blog. March 7, 2012.
- K, John. “Chicago Book Expo in Uptown.” J’s Theater. November 21, 2011.
- Beedle, Andrew. “Review: Chicago IRL.” Catch Fire. July 11, 2011.
- Tamarkin, David. “Chicago’s new gay zine.” Time Out Chicago. June 14, 2011.
- Mitov, Christo. “Make Something Awful Every Day: Year One.” Grateful Grapefruit. February 11, 2011.
- Murdoc, Johnny. “Make something.” JohnnyMurdoc.com. January 3, 2011.
- Printed Matter. Queer Zines, Vol. 2. 2014
- Bears, Illustrated 2012 Calendar
- Kurtz, Adam J., ed. MIND-THOUGHTS: “Collected.” Zine. 2011.
- Lago, Julio, ed. Waska #1: queer artzine. October 2010.
Publications as Author
- “Small Town Virtual Boy.” Absurdist. September 28, 2015.
- “Why I Make Something Awful, Every Day.” Absurdist. September 22, 2015.
- Construction Paper Angst: The Complete Angstology. Chicago: Self-published (Blurb). October 18, 2012.
- Chicago IRL: A Queer Collaboration of Culture & Class(lessness). Vols. 1-4. Chicago, 2011-12. Print.
- Make Something Awful Every Day: Year One. Chicago: Self-published (Blurb). January, 2011.